Sunday, September 29, 2013

Why would homemade ice cream have little chunks of fat in it? (ice cream trouble shooting)?

electric churn
 on ... Farm Master Model 259 Electric Butter Churn Sears Roebuck Co | eBay
electric churn image



Russ H


I made homemade ice cream in a old fashion machine with an electric churn and it came out with little globules of fat in it. My guess is that I did not cool the mixture enough before starting to churn it or that I churned it too long.
That is a question, not an answer ash. -Heavy cream, milk, honey, vanilla(bean), egg yolk
That is a question, not an answer ash. -Heavy cream, milk, honey, vanilla(bean), egg yolk



Answer
This totally happened to me. When you heat the cream and the milk with the vanilla bean and then you add the egg yolk, the heat from the milk mixture often cooks bits of the yolk. Also if you take the temperature of the cream even a little past scalding (tiny bubbles around the rim of pan) the cream can curdle a bit. Repeat your recipe exactly as you have already, only strain the mixture through a fine mesh colander before you chill and dump in the ice cream machine. And be sure the mixture for at least 3 hours before churning. MMMM...I think I need to break out my machine again, you have inspired me....



No comments:

Post a Comment