Thursday, September 26, 2013

How do I make Greek yogurt with a yogurt maker?

donvier
 on Donvier+ice+cream+maker+instructions
donvier image



wombat_tre


I make plain yogurt in a Donvier using Straus Creamery yogurt as a starter. Can I turn my yogurt into Greek just by straining? If so, any tips on how best to do this? Should I put the yogurt in cheesecloth and suspend it over a bowl?


Answer
My dad would always make yogurt when we were younger. He made it on the stove in a large pot using a starter from a previous batch.

This may sound ghetto, but he used a new pillowcase (not cheesecloth). He would tie the pillowcase to a kitchen cabinet and let it strain into a bowl on the counter. I remember asking him why once - it's because you can get a much better strain from the fine threads of a pillowcase. The more you strain, the thicker it will get. You'll get the tart consistency of Greek Yogurt (although you won't be able to decrease the fat and increase the protein much more by doing this - that's what differentiates a store-bought Greek Yogurt).

Be patient - this could take up to a day, and you can strain it more than once.



No comments:

Post a Comment