Thursday, September 26, 2013

I want to make a layered icecream cake?

ice cream party decorations
 on DIY Ice-Cream Parlour
ice cream party decorations image



Chelsie


My husbands birthday is in July and I'm making him a Charmander cake with candles as it's fire breath.

It's going to be a rectangular cake that I split in half and put ice cream between the layers.

My problem is that I don't know what kind of icing to use to draw the character and ice the whole cake.

I assume I put the ice cream between the layers and let it harden for a few hours before icing the cake.
Is there a kind of icing that is okay after hanging out in the freezer?

And is cake okay after it's been in the freezer?

Please and thank you ^_^



Answer
I would suggest doing a lot of prep work. This is how I would do it.
Make the cake how ever I planned, in what ever shape pan. In the same pans that the cake was made in, cover it in parchment or aluminum foil, and make your ice cream layers in there. Get it a little soft, and then spread it in cake pans, making it how ever thick you want the layers. Keep the cake on the counter, and ice cream in the fridge. If you want to do multiple ice cream layers, just wrap the previous frozen on in plastic/foil, and repeat the molding process. Assemble it all the day of the party, and keep it in the freezer. The idea is to not freeze the cake, because if you assemble it all at once, and keep it in the freezer, the cake won't be thawed enough come eating time. So if you assemble it the day of, and only keep it in the freezer for maybe 1-2 hrs, it won't be rock solid.
For the icing, use a butter cream icing. They are really easy to make, and taste great. If you don't have a pastry bag, snip the corner off of a zip loc bag fill it with icing, and use that to do the decorations. The best thing about homemade buttercream is you can color it how ever you want, and you don't get that nasty greasy taste like most store bought.
Hope that was understandable! Good luck



No comments:

Post a Comment