Monday, July 22, 2013

how can i keep shredded lettuce and puree'd bananas from spoiling?

ice cream keeper
 on The Container I Swear By to Store My Homemade Ice Cream - happygomarni ...
ice cream keeper image



@ArthurDmu


hi. i love banana ice cream but no store where i live (ft lauderdale, fl) carries it. so i puree real bananas and use them as a topping for my vanilla ice cream which tastes great. the downside is that after only a few hours of refrigeration the leftovers start too discolor and not look very appetizing.

now onto the shredded lettuce sold in bags. after just a few days it starts too rot like crazy. is there some kind of food saving item i can buy that can solve these issues?



Answer
You can freeze bananas, but they will turn brown as soon as they defrost. Peel the bananas first. You cannot freeze lettuce because you will have mush when it defrosts. I don't think there is anyway to solve the lettuce in bags problem. I stopped buying the because of that. I purchased a plastic lettuce storer container to store the lettuce. I try to purchase 2-3 different heads of lettuce, soak what I need for 3 or 4 days in very cold water to remove dirt, then spin dry in a salad spinner and store in the container.

EDIT: Sorry, that should have been Lettuce Keeper, it look like this.
http://www.amazon.com / Progressive-Internationa / dp / B000OUY2QO
If you happen to live near a Costco, I have been buying packaged lettuce from California. It is about 6 small heads in one container. The expiration dates are generally at least one week out and they always last up to at least a week in the original container and 5 days even after being washed and stored in the Lettuce Keeper.

Tomatoes: I know you didn't ask, but you know how tomatoes start to wrinkle when they beginning to rot? I cut cherry or plum tomatoes in half and regular tomatoes into small pieces, toss them with a little olive oil and few clove peeled garlic cloves, then roast them in a preheated 350F oven for about 30-40 minutes. They are great over chicken or fish. I often add pitted calamata olives and capers before roasting the tomatoes.

Thank you for posting your question. Lots of good answers to help everyone. I must try the FoodSaver type idea, (getting rid of all the air).



No comments:

Post a Comment