Wednesday, May 15, 2013

How much air in tires when driving in snow and ice?

factory ice
 on Royalty-Free Cartoon Character Bee Flying Bucket Clip Art Image ...
factory ice image



Porksoda


I am just making sure before I start driving. The weather is really cold/snowy/icy now. I just want to be the safest I can be. I wasn't sure if I kept the factory air pressure in the tires or decrease the air amount.
I drive a performance truck with 255-45/17 tires. If that make any difference.
Thanks for the help!



Answer
Every time the outside temperature drops 10 degrees Fahrenheit, the air pressure inside your tires goes down about one or two psi.

Drivers should check their tire pressures frequently during cold weather, adding enough air to keep them at recommended levels of inflation at all times.

Never reduce tire pressures in an attempt to increase traction on snow or ice.

It does not work and your tires will be so seriously under-inflated that driving will damage them.................



No comments:

Post a Comment